Thursday, June 19, 2008

6/19/08

Riding the train is so good for getting focused in the morning. I just stare at the city around me, the barbed wire climbing out of the darkness, the fences, the buildings covered in layers of paint to cover up things that they consider ugly. I think its beautiful, but that’s just me, I guess. Someone had something important enough to say that they put it on the side of a building, five feet tall, for everyone to see. The city decides that it is inappropriate. Cover up the art. Disguise the character. Lie to yourselves that this will stop all of the crime. There are no homeless if we cover up these lesions with mismatched paint. Pick up your trash. Litter hurts the environment. That’s what they say while trimming trees and covering the earth in concrete. What will we do when there's no oxygen? You can buy water in a spray can for your face. You can buy compressed air (with a bitterant now because so many kids were just having fun). The downfall of society is reflected in every violent video game, every cuss word on television, every bare breast in a movie. Lift the weight from the shoulders of every parent too busy to take the time out to raise their kids. Bus to school to bus to work to bus to home to the microwave and Saved by the Bell reruns that you set the Tivo to record. Repeat until you think that this is how life is supposed to be. When you were a kid did you dream of growing up to be protected from everything? To be told what’s best for you? To not think or feel for yourself? This is right, this is wrong. Black and white, literally. The world is crumbling and we're caught up with the fact that gay people can or cannot be married. The tomatoes are killing people, or is it the spinach? Gluttony and sloth breed fame and fortune. Do nothing and expect everything. Close your eyes. Go to sleep, and let me do all the thinking for you. I'll change the world. I promise. I'll shape the world from the second train of a light rail car moving at unknown speeds through a city while I fight sleep and make a list of everything I have to do in a day.

No comments: